Definition of anyone can fly

Ken Burner Dec. 8, 2017, 9:53 p.m. PST
I'm thinking the spirit of the Challenge's definition of "anyone can fly" is that of an operator based on an average 5' 9" person, not a physically challenged, nor mentally challenged, nor blind or nearly blind person as some have suggested. With that being said, I would think that an operator should at least be required to have a valid driver's licence to be qualified as an operator. But ultimately I believe the answer is what the FAA requires, which probably is more restrictive than Go-Fly's requirements anyways.

Flapping Flight Dec. 8, 2017, 6:28 p.m. PST
@Meon

When Toyota , VW, BMW,MB etc ( if you note there is no US automaker in this list)etc come in the game massively , unfortunately Tesla will close the doors. The golden ages of US automakers passed about 30-40 years ago. Elon is a genius but he created an empire already where is impossible to percept what is going on inside of so widely spreaded expertise and interests as from solar roofs up to Mars colonization . Ex empires histories predict perfectly what will happen.
When on technical stuff I mostly agree with you , here I beleave the automakers are the right guys for the job .

Meon Dec. 8, 2017, 5:54 p.m. PST
@Flapping Flight
I can tell you from experience, automotive companies can't build aircraft. They have trouble breaking even building cars. Needs new startups to make it happen. Too much bureaucracy in large corporations, they can't react fast enough. Case in point Tesla is smashing them.

Flapping Flight Dec. 8, 2017, 5:09 p.m. PST
@Stan Sanders
This is a job for automakers which know how to produce on affordable
prices large amount of vehicles .Boeing isn't such a company they produce low volumes expensive machines .

Meon Dec. 8, 2017, 4:49 p.m. PST
@Stan Sanders
Not going to happen. Future personal robot aircraft will be all electric. Economics points that way. Electric is not possible with this challenge because of the size restrictions, unless battery technology has a massive spike in energy density in the next year.

Stan Sanders Dec. 8, 2017, 3:58 p.m. PST
Hi Paul, I am asking if Boeing would be interested in building a prototype
with the intent of using the design to compete in the personal vehicle market that will replace the obsolete automobile as global ground vehicles
become gridlocked in the future.

Paul Musille Dec. 8, 2017, 2:29 p.m. PST
@Stan Sanders
Hi Stan,

Innovators will be keeping their IP while competing.

Stan Sanders Dec. 8, 2017, 11:46 a.m. PST
will Boeing be interested in building a prototype entered in the contest?

Flapping Flight Dec. 6, 2017, 8:09 p.m. PST
@ExpAir
The insect doesn't start flying with jump they start flapping with high frequencies some of them few hundreds of Hz. Even Hummingbirds start their flight as insects because they are relatively small. Many of the most largest birds starting their flights usually from some place high over the ground or run ( always against the wind)for awhile to pick up initial flight speed ( swans ,albatrosses ,etc) they experienced lack of enough power . The hummingbirds hoovering flight is so energy expensive that they have to drink all the day "high octane " carbohydrates (nectar) in amounts equal to their weight !
Starting with middle size birds most of them can't fly vertically ( pigeons can but they have spetiall shoulder joint wich allow larger angles of rotation of their wings similar to hummingbirds ) many of smal to middle size predators are abble of hoovering for short periods.
Generally the birds are very smart flyers and alweys use wind, ridge upstreems,thermals etc to save energy!

ExpAir Dec. 6, 2017, 7:53 p.m. PST
Yes you are right - as long as you have variable pitch

Flapping Flight Dec. 6, 2017, 7:46 p.m. PST
@ExpAir
Why you need instant response ? Many helicopters even micro ones as Moskito are equiped with turbo shafts engines? In case of multyrotors you can power all rotors by the same engine and to use variable pitch props controled by servomechanisms for controll and stability of the multicopters.

Flapping Flight Dec. 6, 2017, 4:45 p.m. PST
Going to dinner with the wife will respond later :)

ExpAir Dec. 6, 2017, 4:43 p.m. PST
flies and bees and beetles and gnats etc of course achieve exactly what we are looking for

Flapping Flight Dec. 6, 2017, 4:38 p.m. PST
@Meon
Ha,ha Meon this is the birds strategy jump in to the air and reaching almost instantly minimal fliyng speed opposite to Herriars which spent all the fuel on take off and landings.

ExpAir Dec. 6, 2017, 4:35 p.m. PST
I have a feeling the response time on a turboshaft may not be up to the task of an aborted landing. you sort of need the instant response of electric motors. i could be wrong though

ExpAir Dec. 6, 2017, 4:33 p.m. PST
@Flapping Flight
I like rotary engines. I still have my OS Wankel rotary which I loved running. Lovely engines. Currently i would probably be leaning most strongly to IC engines simply because carrying batteries for 30 minutes flying time is a no go - not even 20 minutes - hardly even 10 minutes - so really that only leaves me with IC engines with serious silencers - but - running so many IC motors above my head is also not ideal.

Flapping Flight Dec. 6, 2017, 4:32 p.m. PST
As about turbine engines probably turbo shaft ones will be more suitable here driving a rotor but they are even more fuel thirsty than rotary ones

Flapping Flight Dec. 6, 2017, 4:27 p.m. PST
Guys have you considered using rotary engines ?
I was on the electric side too but because of the brics blowing problem started to think about ICE .Wankels are more fuel trusty than pistons ones and burn oil in 2 strokes rates but are light,powerful and with less level of vibration than any piston engine.
Here Paul Moller website enjoy
http://moller.com

ExpAir Dec. 6, 2017, 4:04 p.m. PST
Yes sure - we can do with another member or two or three, message me privately and i wills set you up in our team. Can you also do magic, because I think we are going to need a few potions.

Meon Dec. 6, 2017, 4:01 p.m. PST
@ExpAir
You looking for an extra team member?
I have a lot of experience with turbines, fans, propellers, combustion, flight dynamics, composite construction, electric motors.