General Off-topic Chatter

Birdman Dec. 11, 2017, 8:41 p.m. PST
@ExpAir
Is this video the commuter you are looking for? joking
This is evolution, no one knows where it will end up for sure. Everyone is waiting for longer range electric power supply. Then the Drones will dominate. Until then drones will settle for sport, fun, and even art

ExpAir Dec. 11, 2017, 5:47 p.m. PST
Here's an interesting video showing good mushing flight at about 45 - 60 degree angle of attack in some parts. representative of a winged design in transitional flight
Attachments

ExpAir Dec. 11, 2017, 5:33 p.m. PST
haha - Birdman - here I was hoping you had better than that one - yes of course Ive seen that :), and it is better than the rest - but is that as good as it gets? Do you reckon this device makes a good commuter?

Birdman Dec. 11, 2017, 5:28 p.m. PST
@ExpAir
Ok you force me to respond to this, watch the video and eat your words, joking
Attachments

ExpAir Dec. 11, 2017, 3:33 p.m. PST
Something that strikes me as amazingly odd. there are many folk who have created multicopter platforms of some form or other that have lifted a person off the ground for quite a few minutes, and some of them obviously have a lot of thought and skill put into them, yet all of them seemed to be so concerned with lifting off that they seem a bit lost as to what to do once you have lifted off.
Most of them just mildly hover this way and that way and wobble and slide but in general nobody seems to have put any thought into actually flying the thing, as in actually achieving a useful flight from A to B, not just a waffling meandering hover.

Ken Burner Dec. 8, 2017, 9:55 p.m. PST
Quote of the day "The propeller is just a big fan in the front of the plane to keep the pilot cool. Want proof? Make it stop; then watch the pilot break out into a sweat."

Dennis K Dec. 7, 2017, 4:48 p.m. PST
@ExpAir
Hmm, the arm jet approach could potentially work if you make a ball-jointed frame to transfer the force to a harness, and only use your arms to direct them.

Looks a bit more tumble-resistant than Flyboard to me, but still not likely to recover once it happens. Or at least it would take longer than a reserve chute takes to open.

Flapping Flight Dec. 7, 2017, 4:49 a.m. PST
VTOL
Attachments

Flapping Flight Dec. 5, 2017, 4:14 p.m. PST
One of my favorites
Attachments

ExpAir Dec. 5, 2017, 3:12 p.m. PST
Sparrowhawk, a tailsitter. interesting watch
Attachments

ExpAir Dec. 5, 2017, 3:04 p.m. PST
Last sentence. "There are no technical obstacles in making the tiltplane a reality". hmm
Attachments

ExpAir Dec. 5, 2017, 2:42 p.m. PST
Just looking at this variation. very compact, probably too noise but suffers from 2 exceptionally significant drawbacks. Anyone carrying their weight on their arms will know that you get pretty worn out pretty quickly - even a minute of flight would be at the limit of arm muscle usage.
The second is that once you overbalance or start tumbling - there is no recovery.
Flyboard air is a far better adaption of this
Attachments

ExpAir Dec. 5, 2017, 9:47 a.m. PST
I am starting this thread in the interests of keeping the topic threads "on topic".