Number of prizes?

Kyla Jeffrey July 26, 2017, 8:49 p.m. PDT
@Uwe
Anyone can share ideas through CHASING GENIUS, but for this kick-off challenge, NatGeo is only able to award the grand prize to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who are eighteen (18) years of age or older at the time of entry.

Please register and join the CHASING GENIUS community so that we can notify you of future challenges—NatGeo hopes to expand the eligibility to include a more international community as the platform evolves.

Uwe July 25, 2017, 9:09 p.m. PDT
@Ben
Thanks for your Info.

Ben July 25, 2017, 4:01 p.m. PDT
@Uwe
With this competition specifically, there is a rule that "Only legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who are eighteen (18) years of age or older at the time of entry are eligible to enter." However, don't let that discourage you from developing your idea and even a video, because there are other places where it can be useful.

Uwe July 25, 2017, 12:26 p.m. PDT
Hello. I am living in Munich, Germany. Your competition is so super interesting. Is it possible uploading my video / idea? Would be really great hearing from you. And please say YES. All the best. Uwe

원진 조 July 23, 2017, 11 p.m. PDT
@Kyla Jeffrey
How do I know if my submission (70sec video) successful?

Kyla Jeffrey July 21, 2017, 9:28 a.m. PDT
@원진 조
You will need to create a one-minute video describing your CHASING GENIUS idea, the problem it addresses, and the solution it provides. You can submit your video here: http://www.natgeochasinggenius.com/submit

원진 조 July 20, 2017, 9:49 p.m. PDT
@Crista Gibbons
How to send presentation (ppt file)

Crista Gibbons July 17, 2017, 8:31 a.m. PDT
@Ben
Yes, all prizes will be awarded. Thanks for your interest!

Ben July 14, 2017, 8:21 p.m. PDT
@Kyla Jeffrey
Thanks for the prompt response and helpful explanation!

In case you're curious, I wasn't referring to nonmonetary prizes, but to contests where prizes are advertised but then not awarded. In some cases, the explanation is that even the top winner failed to cross a minimum performance bar identified in the challenge description, but in other cases it seems to be just to save money. For example, the Abundant Clean Energy contest advertised a purse of $50K in five $10K prizes for ideas on structuring an XPRIZE (https://herox.com/AbundantCleanEnergy) plus a $10K wiki quick start prize (https://herox.com/AbundantCleanEnergyQuickStartWikiPrize), but then only two submissions were actually selected to receive awards, and the limit wasn't due to the absences of valuable submissions (28 >> 2). That sends a signal to solvers that prizes posted & hosted here aren't all actually real.

With the NatGeo challenge being externally hosted and just promoted here, and the helpful "People's Choice" explanation, that does give greater confidence that "all prizes...will be awarded." Thanks for clarifying!

Kyla Jeffrey July 14, 2017, 3:48 p.m. PDT
@Ben
Hi Ben,

Some prizes on HeroX include the value of non-monetary awards in the prize purse (which is what I believe you are referring to?). That is not the case here, all prizes are US dollars -- 4 prizes of $25K ($100K total) will be awarded.

The Submission that receives the highest number of votes during the Voting Period will be deemed the “People’s Choice” Grand Prize winner. The Judging Panel will select three additional Grand Prize Winners, one in each of the three Challenge Issue categories

Once you click "Accept Challenge," you will be sent over to Nat Geo's website for the full details.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!
Kyla

Ben July 14, 2017, 3:12 p.m. PDT
The Overview page, with very little information, says: "Total Prize Amount: $100,000. We are currently soliciting ideas around three critical issues" which are listed, and then "The four winners will be recognized by National Geographic and each will receive $25,000 to take their ideas further."

I know that some prize purses posted on HeroX are part or all fictional money that won't actually be awarded. What is the plan here, and if it is actually for *four* $25K prizes to be awarded instead of three, how will the fourth be selected? Could that answer be edited in to the challenge description? Thanks!