Interviewing Subject Matter Experts: Best Practices and Interview Question Template
This is a document to help you conduct informational interviews with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs).
- Identify and reach out to SMEs individually to find a mutually acceptable time. See the document titled “Requesting an SME Interview (Example)” for sample language for your emails. You will want to conduct 5 to 7 interviews total with each interview being about 30 minutes long.
- Schedule the call with the SME using Uberconference or Google Hangout with Uberconference dial-in (you will want to have the ability to record voice and/or video).
- How to setup and use Uberconference
- Invite other team members to participate in the call, if applicable.
- Create a copy of the attached interview questions document, rename it with the SME’s name and date of interview.
- Share the document with any necessary team members.
- If you have multiple team members on the call, assign someone to take notes and someone else to ask most of the questions. Have a chat window open so that the team can talk amongst themselves (pose additional questions, make suggestions, etc.)
- If there is only one person conducting the interview, you can take the recorded conversation and send it to an outsourcing website such as Fiverr or Upwork to get transcribed.
- Always inform the interviewee that the conversation is being recorded and ask permission to share it on your HeroX page (also see under “Introductions” section below).
- Follow (or don’t follow) the script. Do what feels comfortable and works for you and the interviewee!
Follow this link to view the full document with an interview guide template!