We’re preaching to the choir here, but it bears repeating: the NASA Space Poop Challenge didn’t just break HeroX records, but also broke records for the entire field of open innovation competitions. That’s right, folks, with more entries per day than some of the most famous prizes out there, Space Poop is the new standard for how to get sh*t done.
Before we get into the actual winners, it’s only proper that we give credit where credit is due. All of you, the Space Poop community, made this feat possible. All wackiness aside, you’re now part of history. Human space flight just took a small step (but a big leap) into the future, and your efforts in the Space Poop Challenge played an integral role. Congratulations!
Now, without further ado, the top award recipients:
- Thatcher Cardon
- MACES Perineal Access & Toileting System (M-PATS)
- Space Poop Unification of Doctors (SPUDs) Team - Katherine Kin, Stacey Marie Louie, and Tony Gonzales
- Air-Powered Spacesuit Waste Disposal System
- Hugo Shelley
- SWIMSuit - Zero Gravity Underwear for 6 Day Use
While we were only able to award three prizes, there were many outstanding entries and NASA would also like to acknowledge the following semi-finalists (in no particular order):
- Team CASES - Agustín Martínez Bleda and Miguel Embid Segura: Cleaning, Analysis and Storage of Excrements
- Alberto Viveros: Reverse System to Handle Human Waste for the MACES
- Charly Karamanian: Remora HW System – Inspired by Nature
- Team AlsaInventors- Jérémy ADAM and Guillaume Jarry: Hand Free Paperless Space Poop Under Pressure!
- Michi Mittwann: Silicon Screw of Archimedes - All in one!
- Olivier Drevet: Artificial Peristalsis Based Device
- Patricia Yang: Improved Adult Diaper Design
- Team Uranus - Rob Roberts, Eelke Wiegel, Richard van Wietingen, Jerad Whitaker, Amanda Thoss, Chris Herman, and Jeremy Moyes: Focus: Hydrophobic Gas Separation and Venting
- Sanghyuk Wooh: The P-Collector with Advanced Non-Wetting Surfaces
- Sebastián Peña: IWAS (Integral Waste Administration System)
- Team AHEAD - Automated Home Env/ment Applications Device - Stavros Vlachoyannis and Anastassis Katsikas: SEF - Space Efficient Flush (AHEAD)
- Ted Southern: SpaceSuit Waste System (SSWS)
- Ted Griebling: Tube Sock
- Tracey Cook: WEHA! Waste Evacuation Hygienic Assurance
- Trey Lane: Serial Excrement Removal & Wiping Integrated System
- Vyasa Rajasekar: Self-Cleaning Bio-Diapers
- Wang Jiyao: Wearable Intelligent Toilet Underpants
- Ziad Saghir: Emergency Evacuation Evacuation System
- Michael Haight: Space Stool Management Protocol
- Doug Callewaert: The Rotodefecator
- Hugh McCarroll: Containment Garment
Looking for more opportunities to be part of the crowdsourcing movement? Yeah, we figured.
Stay tuned for more Space Poop related announcements soon!